What is Strength in Neighbors?
Strength in Neighbors is a community revitalization program that encourages neighbors to collaborate on exterior improvements to their properties. By working together, neighbors are able to restore confidence and beauty to their community while encouraging others to reinvest.
Why should I participate?
Neighbors who apply for and are awarded a grant will receive up to $1,000 in dollar for dollar matching funds for exterior home improvements. The program is also a great way to get to know your neighbors and improve your community.
What projects qualify for the grants?
- Porch Repair
- Soffit Repair
- Sidewalk Repair
- Exterior Lights
- Front yard landscaping
- Front doors
- And many more…
How is the program supported?
McAlester Makers administers and funds the program. The group is a local non profit dedicated to promoting economic stability and growth by cultivating and equipping local entrepreneurs, artisans, and the community they live in. Funds are raised through our popular Grillmarks Festival Series, Little Festival on the Prairie, and private donations.
What is the selection criteria?
The number of grant awards is based on availability of funds and the quality of the applications received. The following criteria will be considered during the process of awarding grants:
- Number of participating properties: applicants must have a cluster of at least five and not more than eight participating properties in the same block or street.
- Organization: applicants should demonstrate a commitment to cultivating strong communications between neighbor and a shared sense of identity so that momentum gained in 2019 can carry forward.
- Strategic value: applicants in the target zone will receive special consideration. Click to see the Target Zone here.
How do I apply?
- Recruit your neighbors. Successful applications must have five participating neighbors and not more than eight.
- Complete and submit your pre-application below.
Pre-Applications Due: November 15, 2019
Grants Announced: December 16, 2019
Projects Completion Date: April 1, 2020